- Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day.
- Confirm with your utility companies any information they need regarding your move.
- Start organizing your items. What will you move? What will you give away? What will you sell at a garage or estate sale?
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, cleaning help, and lawn services a few weeks before the move.
- Mail in your change of address forms before your move date.
- Start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
- For large appliances be sure to check your owner's manuals to see if there are special instructions for moving.
- Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible including: children's health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
- Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement as soon as you decide it's time to move.
- Don't forget to arrange to transfer school records.
The day has arrived!
Whether we are packing your belongings or you are doing it yourself, please be sure to look at the tips here to make things a little easier.
- Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
- Never use duct tape - use packing tape.
- Don't use used boxes. You don't know if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
- Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes.
- Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it's the last thing added to the truck.
- As you take apart furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base.
We hope that you choose 916Movers for your relocation, but we want you to be comfortable with any mover that you choose. We recommend verifying your movers credentials prior to hiring them for your move.
- California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) Guide “Important Information for Persons Moving Household Goods (within California)“
- CA Bureau of Household Goods and Services
- Verify Your Movers
- Better Business Bureau